Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The 'F' Word.


Our line of hollands carries the fuzzy gene. We don't get a ton of them but it never fails that the pick of the litter that you've waited oh so long for sprouts fuzz. It became a bad word in our barn and was not to be said aloud in the attempts of keeping the 'F' at bay. Dang it if it didn't work.

When Dilemma popped up accidentally in a dwarf litter I was perplexed.


I'd heard that some lines of dwarfs could carry the fuzzy gene just like hollands. I should have sold her, I could have sold her - but I didn't. She made me smile =) I decided to keep her for a pet, what's one hole right? After much prodding and urging from Jersey Wooly breeders I decided to show her. She did quite well and even won her class at Convention. It was decided that she needed a boyfriend. The breeder I contacted didn't have a buck so he talked me into getting two does and using my wool carrier ND buck for now. Long story short(er) I bred these two Jersey Woolies to my wool carrier buck. My first litter appears to be two normal coats and one wooly.

So my dwarfs have wool and my woolies don't. Dang it if it didn't work.

Melanie
- good things come to those that wait

No comments:

Post a Comment