Thursday, August 6, 2009

Buyers Beware?

-
We’ve all heard the saying ‘buyer beware’ but what about the sellers? Selling rabbits has become my most dreaded chore in this hobby.

-
Just within the last few weeks I’ve heard…

-
I’ve got lots of really good things coming my way so I’m no longer interested in…
- Um OK thanks
-
Should I be interested in _______ would you hold him for a couple months until I can transport?
- We’re not Wal-Mart, no layaways please
-
Could you come down on this $50 or $75 rabbit?
- Seriously? I’ve seen bucks with bad teeth and 4 ½ lb brood does listed on other sites for $200. Are our prices that outrageous?
-
Please don’t get mad and threaten to sell out of dwarfs because I don’t raise the color you’re looking for. I like otter so that’s what is in my barn. Mom has a small side of shaded, but it’s a very very small side. If I recommend another breeder please take it as a nice gesture on my part. I am trying to help.

-
We’re not Pet Smart. I cannot fill your order. I know that sounds snarky but I really do raise rabbits for me. It’s my hobby. I do this to better the breed and have my own rabbits to show. I do not do this to make money or breed you a top of the line show rabbit. Yes, I can’t keep them all so from time to time we do put out a sales list. If we have something that you think will help your herd then GREAT! Selling stock helps pay the feed and showing bill and that's about all.

-
Here’s another saying, ‘it takes all kinds’.

-
To lighten this post, here's some cute. Meet our first Hot Fuzz baby!
-
-
-
-
Melanie

4 comments:

  1. High time somebody said this. I know there will be a part 2 sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I want the fatty wooly!

    I'm sorry you're getting such crazy potential buyer comments!! o.O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, some buyers think we owe them the world. Very rude indeed! When it is a hobby, I tend to drop the "customer is always right" nonsense!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are selling a very well balanced buck that is full to the table has great depth, and bone. You are asking a mere $150.00 for him (a steal compared to what other breeders would ask for something of even less quality).

    What really gets me is when someone asks you to come down on him, and when you go to their site they are selling a long, no depth, fine boned, slipped crown with long ears rabbit for the same price......go figure!!!!!

    ReplyDelete