Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Things You Hear at a Show.

-
No, this isn’t going to be a gossip column =)
-
I’ve been showing and taking comments for awhile now and yep I hear a lot. Some judges seem to run down a list:

-
Good head
Good ears
Good type
Good color
-- and on to the next rabbit

-
It’s almost the same comments on the same class of rabbits no matter what the breed. The 8th place rabbit receives about the same comments as the 1st place rabbit. Shouldn’t there be more to it than that?

-
I’ve heard some off the wall comments too. For example, ever have a holland dinged for too much crown definition or too much bone for a junior? Or how about a dwarf with too deep of a chest or too open and thick ears? Yes, I’ve heard it.

-
Other judges seem to base their comments on the breed they are judging. *gasp*

-
For example;
natural depth of shoulder
placement of head on shoulder
crown definition and placement
thickness of ear
curvature of head
dips behind the shoulder
long in bone
bone structure
TOPLINE
round
-
It’s amazing how the above list relates with the flaws and/or strengths of the Holland Lop and/or Netherland Dwarf but you rarely hear these comments given.
-
While I won’t name the ‘too much crown’ judge I will name two judges that always comment on the above, Robert Caldwell and Connall Addison. I don't really want to seem bias to just these two judges, but I do feel they deserve Kudos.

-
So, thank you guys for being in tune with our breed(s)!
-
Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment