Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Pedigrees.

To some a pedigree is just a piece of paper meaning nothing, if you like the rabbit before you then that's all that matters.

To some a pedigree is very important. All info on it is complete and without it said rabbit is worthless. A complete pedigree is needed to register and obtain a grand champion certificate, not only on that rabbit but two generations of their offspring as well.

I admit I like to have a pedigree, I do some of my breeding based on what is genetically behind that rabbit, 3rd generation for example. Hollands and dwarfs don't breed true so it's nice to know what's back there.

Regardless of how you feel, it is an important part of the selling process of a rabbit. You wouldn't want to buy a car without a title, right? As a seller you should be prepared with pedigree all printed and ready to give to the buyer at time of sale/pick up. If the rabbits are being shipped/transported the pedigrees should be mailed in a timely manner.
Not receiving pedigrees and having to beg/plead/hint for months to get them makes the buyer feel like the bad guy and I don't think that's right.

We use and highly recommend Evans Rabbit/Cavy Software. Evans is a wonderful program that keeps track of litters, entries, due dates, sales lists, pedigrees and so much more! I sometimes wonder how we managed before it! No more hand writing pedigrees!

Oh that reminds me, I'm off to print pedigrees for our sale rabbits for the upcoming show!
Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment