Monday, February 9, 2009

BUDs

I love a good brood doe! I think they are probably the most under rated essential item in a good rabbitry.

My personal preference is to buy brood stock and try and make our own show rabbits. From the email requests I get it seems it's about a 60/40 split between people wanting a 'good show doe' versus a quality brood doe.

IMO even a brood doe should have her good qualities, so not every doe in our barn is labeled as 'brood' and either put into production or sold as such.

Our best producing holland doe would have to be, THF Saynora's Rosita. Man, I love that doe. Her offspring have done awesome for us on the show tables and I'm hoping that her kids will step up and do us proud in producing the next generation of LBF bunnies. Cheyenne will technically be the first. Cheyenne's first litter was a single, a blue tort buck [pictured in post below]. So far I like him but he's only 9 weeks old. I talk about Rosita a lot, so here she is.




THF Saynora's Rosita [pictured on a litter of 4]


Even with um a few litters under her belt her strengths are evident in these pictures. She has a good natural pose, depth of body and short bone. Rosita will retire here with us ;)
It's always important to remember 'where you came from'. Everyone had to start somewhere and the start you get IMO makes or breaks new breeders. Do your research and choose wisely.
Melanie

1 comment:

  1. She's a cutie! Beautiful doe, even on a litter of 4 with all her "mama-ness" :).

    Qadoshyah

    ReplyDelete