Wednesday, July 1, 2009

No Way...

-
Our orange doe Jinger kindled 4 DOA babies on day 28. I was disappointed. It took a little work to get Jinger going and at just over a year old this was only her 2nd litter. The 4 looked a little premature. I removed the nest box and went on. 3 days later Jinger kindled 8 more babies. Yes, 8 more for a total of 12 babies! No way. For those of you wondering Jinger is barely a 3 1/2 pound holland. Mom found them alive and healthy. There was only 1 peanut in the whole litter. Seriously, no way.
-
I have 4 sable/sable martens in the box by Slick. Do I even need to mention that I'm excited?!
-
I sexed my two wooly litters. A lot of bucks. I am excited that I finally have otters though, both blue and black. I've fallen in love with a blue otter doe and have high hopes for her even though she's too young to even know what her type will be.
-
Melanie

1 comment:

  1. Wow, 12 babies is absolutely unheard of! That should probably go into the Guinness World Records Book as the largest litter for a dwarf rabbit breed.

    And congrats on the marten babies! I have one sable marten in the nest box right now. Martin's first litter for me will be due on July 22 with a chocolate otter.

    Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete